3.7.13

Who's Afraid of a Bear?

Dear Laura,




Me, I am afraid of a bear, well bears to be precise.  I have a debilitating fear of these, in the words of Stephen Colbert, "Godless killing machines", so much so that I haven't been able to enjoy this country as much as I would like. I love wondering the hills and beaches in England, off for a walk whenever possible. But here, here in America it is different. I am paralyzed by the fear that there is a bear just waiting for me round the next corner. This is kind of silly because when I spent a summer in the African bush we would go walking everyday and even slept out under the stars one night. I was never really afraid of African animals, I am not entirely sure why. But bears, well bears are different aren't they. 

Anyway yesterday R got fed up with my being a wuss and not wanting to go for a walk so he found a walk that he has done before, and that has many people on the trail. I reluctantly agreed and kept very quiet from the nerves on the way there. Well it was of course excellent, the scenery is so beautiful and once we got going my nerves subsided and I managed to enjoy myself. We looked for fossils, chased some lizards and enjoyed the magnificent scenery around us.









My stomach still turns over when walks are mentioned, but knowing what is out there what fun it is helps. I hope my courage lasts a little longer.

Lots of love

Annie

3 comments:

  1. Annie, I could have written this post myself. I am also deathly afraid of bears and have no idea why. Did a lot of camping here in California in my younger days. Gosh, driving the freeway here is probably more dangerous, but I do it anyway.
    Last August I finally agreed to get out of our truck while driving up to Big Bear. We stopped at Onyx Summit...8440 ft. Guess what? While taking photos I heard a bear....did not see one as I was too darn busy running back to the truck. Long story short, my husband had the 'nerve' to ask me what I heard, only to tell me, 'yep, that was a bear'. I will go again, but will most likely stand inside the truck;-)
    blessings, jill
    ps. hopped over here from a quiet corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We have them around our farm. Luckily I have not see one on our property. Great photos. Karla

    beauty-fromheadtotoeblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...