4.5.13

Octopus', Friends And, Of Course, Dresses

Dear Laura,

I hope you appreciate the punctuation up there in the title of this, I don't know if it is correct but it hurt my brain just trying to remotely get it right. I have been sewing with some exciting fabric this week. It was designed by our friend Sabrina (you can check out her blog WolvesInLondon and her guest post). She has been playing around with some designs but when I saw this one, I just loved it so much she very kindly put it up so that I could buy it. Look at those tentacles!



I am making a dress with it, I thought it was be fun. The fabric arrived at work and everyone was very intrigued by it so I promised I would wear the dress at work one day for them. My work isn't terribly formal but I will make sure it isn't a day clients are in. I have been playing my usual game of pricking myself with pins as I make adjustments to the fit and have minor heart attacks when I think that I have cut the material too small. The dress isn't finished yet as I had a friday night trip to buy the zip last night to put in (check out my exciting friday nights), but I am hoping to complete it by the end of the weekend.


(what I hope the dress will look like)

(trying to get my darts right, Great British Sewing Bee you have a lot to answer for)

(some pin jabbing to get the fit right)

I can't wait to show you the finished product!


Lots of love

Annie

6 comments:

  1. This is an extremely exciting blog post for me! Love your dress design, can't wait to see the finished item!

    And I am also super excited that your colleagues were intrigued by the fabric too, ha ha.

    Now, what about that shower cap you promised?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I wouldn't have minded being an "octopus friend" either...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The octopus fabric is delightful and I can't wait to see the dress. Sabrina needs to get creating more fabric for the rush that will hopefully be created by the transformation of fabric to clothing!

    There are three options for the plural of octopus: octopuses, octopi or octopodes (according to Wikipedia). Apostrophes are a problem for a large percentage of the British population - when you're getting a headache with them again, just remember: if in doubt, leave it out. A missing apostrophe never offends like one that wasn't invited to the party.

    There are only two reasons why an apostrophe should show up: one is when there are missing letters ("is not" becomes "isn't") and the other is when something belongs to the item with the apostrophe (as in octopus' friends - friends of the octopus!). There are other rules, but I have waffled long enough and that covers the basics.

    Sorry for the Sunday morning grammar lesson. I used to teach this stuff and it seems I can't help myself. Perhaps I need to set up Apostrophes Anonymous. My name is Wendy and I'm a grammar freak...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I've tagged you in one those internet-pass-it-on blog type thingummies!

    No pressure, but if you have time one day, show me a picture of your blogging view...

    http://wolvesinlondon.com/2013/05/09/five-things-about-me/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric is amazing! My head always hurts getting darts in the right places...and making sure I've sewn the fabric with the pattern the right way up.

    I have curtains with upside down roses...I kid you not, but I couldn't be bothered to unpick and correct so they stay...and only I really notice - I hope!

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH brilliant, what amazing fabric!

    Yes The Great British Sewing Bee *does* have a lot to answer for! I've just finished up my first dress & I'm making a skirt now. So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...