23.2.13

A 3 Year Love Story Part1

Dear Laura,



As I am pretty sure you remember, two and a half years ago you suggested that we embark into our first ever crochet projects. Always willing to learn new things and to follow your lead I dived head first into my very first crochet blanket. It wasn't as easy as I thought. Actually learning how to crochet was hard enough, then once I had got my colours sorted out and my squares underway, I realised what an enormous project I had just taken on and had no idea whether I would be able to complete it.

And so every night whilst R was preparing supper, I would sit in the kitchen with a glass of wine beavering away on square after square. I love this time, it is so quiet, he works away at whatever delicious creation we are lucky enough to have on that day and I sit there, sometimes entertaining him, sometimes just working away at my knitting or crochet. It is the time of the day when I feel most at peace and I look forward to those 30 minutes everyday.

At times I just closed my box of squares for months on end, unable to ever bare to look at them there were so many left to so. Occasionally I would ritually lay them out to make a blanket shape and once again realise how few I had made and how many more there were to go. Then finally before christmas I decided enough was enough grabbed a colour and started to join them, fairly unsuccessfully at first, I began to hate my blanket again but soon I was flying and now all I need to do is block it. Which I will do this weekend so I can show you the blanket in all its glory. For now, here are some of my favourite bits...


Crochet in a lovely cafe in New Mexico
 Playing with my squares rather than actually doing any crochet
Packing everything away for months on end
Attempting to make myself feel better, the distance between the squares is telling here
 First blocking, from circle to square
Joining the squares
All it needs now is a final block.

I am so excited to show you the finished product.

Lots of love

Annie


4 comments:

  1. I think your colour combinations are really lovely. Looking forward to seeing the finished blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I am not the only person who has taken three years to finish a crochet blanket. I blogged about mine this week here:
    http://www.aplaceofmyown.co.uk/2013/02/made-it-too-big-blanket.html

    I highly recommend some crochet bunting next, I managed to whip up a fantastic seven triangle string of crochet bunting that is now adorning my dresser. It took 3 DAYS! It was amazing after three years of slogging with the same project!

    I can't wait to see your finished one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my crochet blanket is about three years old too...no finished yet! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...