21.10.12

Making a dress: McCalls 2401

Dear Annie,





Here it is. My first attempt at dressmaking. Following my two day dressmaking course, which got me started, I had plenty of finishing to do: the zip, the interfacing, the sleeves... All of which would have seemed quite terrifying not so long ago. With the help of my course notes, my new sewing machine and the pattern instructions, I got there in the end.

Not a perfect dress by any means. But a dress. Which fits me. And I made it. It really does feel like quite an achievement!

The pattern is McCalls 2401 and the fabric is LilyBelle Henna Stripe

My first attempt at dressmaking but not, I hope, my last.

Love from,

Laura

16 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric and the length of the sleeves. Looks like one of those dresses you could wear for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I completely fell in love with the fabric, I am definitely having a grey phase.

      Delete
  2. I think it is quite lovely - love the sleeves and the neck line. It looks very comfy too. You have inspired me to have a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, it's fabulous! I've only made a couple of things for myself, and they're not too shabby but for some reason I don't wear them very much. I love your fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I do wear it. There is temptation to be a perfectionist and notice all the flaws, but I shall try not to.

      Delete
  4. Congrats! I can't wait to see what you make next...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I am thinking something for one of the boys, hopefully smaller will be speedier...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, what a brilliant start too. No stopping you now! By the way, I love it.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh thanks, I consider that high praise indeed from such a talented sewist as yourself! Much appreciated ( and I am glad that your computer let you comment) L x

      Delete
  7. It looks fabulous - as do you. I've never managed to master zips - a fab job all round though.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dress, so impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...