14.9.12

shooting film

Dear Annie,




I have had the film from my Olympus Trip developed. It was with great excitement and considerable anticipation that I went to the camera shop to collect the prints! 


The results were mixed. Some of the photos pleased me, some disappointed me. By an large, the steepest learning curve was the focusing - more shots than I would have liked were out of focus. Unlike the autofocus on a DSLR, on a Trip you focus by turning the dial on the lens to the relevant symbol, so the person for close up portraits, the mountain for landscapes, etc. These symbols correspond to distances in feet or meters, and estimating the distance from from camera to subject is a skill which I clearly need to work on!


Here are a few of the photographs that I took with the Trip at a wedding that we attended a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful weekend and we, like most of the other guests, took along our tent. 







Having discovered Poundland film, I am ready to re-load the Trip and have another try. I rather fancy experimenting with a technique that I used to play with in sixth form: multiple exposure. I am planning to shoot a roll of film with landscapes, re-load and then shoot portraits over the top. I am hoping that shooting at a fixed distance will give me a better chance of getting my focus right. I will let you know how I get on!

Love from,

Laura

2 comments:

  1. It's years since I've used film - in fact I probably still have a few rolls lying around! As a grad student i used to have to load my own film from a bulk loader, develop it and then print my own photos - i would probably have killed for digital!

    That wedding looks like something from Martha Stewart - idyllic, gorgeous. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But these are lovely! My first SLR was manual focus and it took awhile to get the hang of it. totally out of practice now. Keep going! C.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...