30.8.12

days at the circus

Dear Annie,



I have always found it a near impossible task to name my 'favourite book'. As a former English Literature student, I have read and loved so many that I could never pick just one. However, Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus is certainly a book which would always make it onto the shortlist. A flamboyant tale of enchantment and magic realism, it is the story of Fevvers: a famously winged aerialiste in a nineteenth century circus.



Whilst I never harboured dreams of running away with the circus (although a childhood friend of mine really did just that!), I have always thought how marvellous it would be to see a circus like Fevvers' in action. Incredible then, to discover just such a circus only a few miles away from here.



Gifford's Circus is as close to perfect as it is possible to get. It is every bit the magical and timeless show that I always imagined Carter's circus to be. Every single one of our family was utterly charmed and entranced by our visit.










We are now counting down the days until the circus returns next year. 

Love from,

Laura

PS: In an attempt to experience the circus fully, and not through the viewfinder, I deliberately left my camera at home. As a result of which, all the photos were taken on my phone using Instagram. I rather regretted my decision as it was one of the most photogenic places I have ever visited. Next year I will be back, firmly clutching my DSLR!

7 comments:

  1. I missed Giffords this year! but it's an experience I would heartily recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photos- they almost look like paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL images anyway Laura! Gorgeous. I LOVE Giffords. Can't wait for next year either. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our annual trip to Giffords and having camera in hand is one of the great pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many good things about Giffords that I think we're going to have to go next year. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to a luncheon later this month and Nell Gifford is the main speaker. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to one of their circus's but I'd love to as I've read so many good things.

    I love the world through Instagram and I'm getting lazier and lazier with my camera.

    Found you, btw, through #ff and very glad I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...