5.3.12

patchwork hexagons

Dear Annie,


A visit to the local auction rooms has become a regular routine since we moved here. I look forward to it - I love searching out treasures amongst the piles of dusty furniture and boxes of oddments. We usually leave a paper bid and have to wait to see if it has been successful. This month, however, my auction-loving Father-in-law was visiting, and was happy to bid on my behalf.


I could not have been more delighted when he walked through the kitchen door at the end of the day with this patchwork hexagon coverlet (and change from a twenty pound note). There was a pale blue valance attached around three sides of it, which I swiftly removed. It completely slipped my mind to take a picture for you as a 'before' shot, but take my word for it, it was hideous! Freed from their flouncy frame, the hexagons were really able to shine. I think, judging from the fabrics used (lots of barkcloth and dress fabrics), it probably dates back to about the 1950s.




The patchwork has been pieced by hand - every single hexagon has been hand sewn into place. It really has been a labour of love, and I'm sure that for whoever made it, many of the fabrics must have had particular memories or significance.


Having removed the valance, I am in two minds as to what to do next. I could simply slipstitch the patchwork to the (plain white) backing along its edges, or alternatively, I could make some binding (perhaps using the pale blue cotton of the valance). What do you think?



A new home, a new lease of life and a new owner to appreciate it. Hello, little vintage patchwork beauty. Hello.

Love from,

Laura

4 comments:

  1. Your clever FIL! The fabrics are so gorgeous.
    I rather like the idea of a fresh binding to really make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the idea of using the original blue as a narrow binding. What a scoop, the fabrics are absolutely beautiful and it looks meticulously well done. Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very lovely! binding would maybe add a modern twist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that is a find..it's really beautiful..i vote for binding using the valance fabric but only if you can access the seam allowance on the hexagons..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...