24.2.12

the beginnings of a quilt

Dear Annie,


For almost a year now, I have been musing on my next quilt. I am making it for little S, and I want it to be just right. My collection of bluey green fabrics has grown and grown until at last, finally, I felt ready to begin cutting.


I decided that for this quilt I would use an arrangement of simple squares, fairly small ones to match the delicate prints on the fabric. Armed with my rotary cutter, quilting ruler, and some You Tube tutorials, I braved the first cut. Cutting out squares wasn't unduly difficult. What I struggled with was figuring out how to make sure that there was minimal possible wastage with each piece of fabric. 


It's been a bit of a learning curve but I now have some small - but growing - piles of squares, a stack of fabrics ready to be cut, and my bag of fabric scraps remains comparatively empty. Slowly but surely, a quilt is taking shape.


Meanwhile, in knitting news, I have finally cast off the second of my one-skein handwarmers (which I talked about in this post) As it turned out, I needn't have worried- I finished them with yarn to spare. The trickiest part proved to be photographing them (always a challenge when you are your own model!)




Love from,


Laura


PS: Thank you so much for my beautiful birthday present. Needless to say, I love it. xx

PPS: Knitting details, as ever, on Ravelry.

3 comments:

  1. Love those handwarmers. Absolutely gorgeous. And I got very excited at seeing two familiar prints in your pile of quilt fabrics. Bring back such nostalgic memories of summer frocks as a child. Beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for quilts! I have just started on my first ever one made from old shirts and pillowcases and dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful handwarmers. And I will start a quilt at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...