28.1.12

It Started With a Tweet

Dear Laura,


I have a bit of a strange relationship with twitter, I feel like when I comment on someones tweet I am interrupting a conversation by shouting in their face. I do love it though, I love hearing what people have been up to, catching up on news stories and looking at all those granny squares which inspire me to keep going on my own. Now it turns out that it is also an awesome place to barter. When you sent me this tweet I was over the moon.


I have always wanted a pair of hand knitted socks, they are such a luxury and I have tried a gazillion times to knit them myself but I have never got anywhere. I was a little nervous at first but once I started chatting with Susie (@knittingKnoobie) my worries were eased. Neither of us had bartered before so we came up with our own strategy. I sent her lots of material choices and a million questions about what design she might want, which she calmly avoided and sensibly chose the material, gave me the dimensions and sent me a link to a swift bag she liked. She asked me for some colours I liked and wanted to know whether she should make it a surprise or let me know what pattern and wool she would use. I opted for the surprise.


Luckily that Monday was Martin Luther King Jr day which meant I had the day off to watch Sherlock and sew up the swift bag (best day ever!) Here is the result...






Originally Susie wanted some sheep or yarn themed fabric, unfortunately I didn't have any in my stash so I made a little sheep to keep the yarn swift company.



Then before I knew it this tweet came swishing through cyberspace




I was so excited, I quickly put the finishing touches to the bag and bundled it into the post as soon as I could. Then I waited... I knew Susie had sent the socks so everyday I raced to the post as soon as I could but nothing. The next day I ran home excited and asked R 'is there any post for me, is there?'. Still nothing, my heart sank, I was sure she might have got the address wrong and my lovely hand knitted socks were sat in someone else's house. I took a deep breath and thought ok, it hasn't been that long they will arrive soon, patience patience...


The next day I came home from work, "is there any post for me, is there, is there?" R had a sneaky smile on his face and said, "I don't know you'd better look in the kitchen". I ran in my heart singing, and there it was, the package I had been longing for. I ripped it open and inside there were these beautiful socks.











I love them, they are so expertly made and fit perfectly, Susie also has a blog and wrote about the barter on her blog "Knitting Knoobie"It started with a tweet and ended with a pair of beautiful hand knitted socks 


Lots of love


Annie


p.s. After the success of this barter I am happy to barter some more if anyone would like to. I can sew pretty much anything (I think!) so let me know if you are interested.

4 comments:

  1. Such a fab idea! I can think of a million and one things I'd like you to make but nothing I could offer in return. Maybe some day... Love the socks. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are just so fab and look so snuggly. I would never have thought that you could barter on twitter! What a great swap. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad everything worked out so well for us both. I love my yarn swift bag, along with it's stowaway, and I'm so happy you're enjoying your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you lucky, lucky woman! Your bartering is a good idea...now you've got me thinking...

    P.S. Am also a bit of a Sherlock fan...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...