7.12.11

'tis the Season for Eating Mince Pies

Dear Laura,


I love mince pies, I mean I really love them. Christmas food is the best. The trouble is I live in America now, and if you can believe it, they don't eat mince pies, in fact they don't even seem to know what they are! It seems that the name puts people off, even in the English section of the supermarket where I can find Jaffa cakes, Iron Bru and Weetabix doesn't have mince pies. In fact last year I had to buy a very expensive squashed packet of Mr Kipling which I think might have been from the year before. 


So this year I decided to make my own. The lovely Gil, who guest posted for us in May provided me with a recipe for mince meat which I adapted a little and I used my recipe for the pastry. Here is the recipe:


Mincemeat 
(makes about two small jars 35 small mince pies)


100g (4oz)    Raisins
100g (4oz)    Cranberries
100g (4oz)    Cherries
25g   (1oz)    Almonds
75g   (3oz)    Honey
100g (4oz)    Grated Suet
1 Orange (peeled and chopped)
The zest of one whole orange
1/2 tsp    Cinamon
1/4 tsp    Nutmeg
1/2 cup of brandy (or more if you like boozy mince pies which I do)


Mince up the dried fruit, crush the almonds. Add everything together and mix. Put in Jars and leave overnight (I left it in the fridge because of the suet)


Pastry
(makes enough for 24 shallow mince pies)


125g (5oz) Butter
150g (6oz) flour
50g   (2oz) Sugar
a splash of milk
1 egg


Sift the flour into a bowl add the sugar. Chop the butter into the flour keeping the pieces apart by putting the flour over them. The butter is best if it is a little soft, but not to soft we want to avoid it melting. Rub the butter and flour together to make an oat like consistency. Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add a splash of milk (a capful should be enough). Bring the mixture together into a ball, it will be a little wet. 


Compiling the mince pies, this was my favourite bit it was so relaxing and made me feel all christmassy! Anyway I rolled the pastry out and cut out circles, put them in the baking pan, added a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat to each of them, then seal them with christmas trees, stars, angels, or just normal lids. break the egg into a bowl and mix it up. brush the egg on to the top of the pies and then sprinkle some sugar. This will make them come out nice and golden brown. I baked them in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes.




Then eat fresh from the oven, nom nom nom




Lots of Love


Annie





3 comments:

  1. My mincemeat is sitting in jars ready for me to make the pastry & get on with the whole mince pie production line...your post has given me the much needed push to get on with it- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yummy yum! I've never tried making my own mincemeat for them before x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...