3.7.11

the ice cream like a night on the sea

Dear Annie,






In our garden, we have an old Belfast sink. It used to be a herb garden, but in recent years, it's been over-run by mint. We are more than happy to have a crop of mint on hand, and so we've let it grow. This week, when I saw some beautiful Sicilian lemons at the greengrocers, I snapped them up. It was time for one of our Summer traditions. It was time to make Mint Icecream.

Mint, lemons, cream and sugar. As I gathered my ingredients, I was reminded of a book that I used to read as a little girl about a boy called Julian whose father makes a special pudding for his mother: "It will taste like a whole raft of lemons, it will taste like a night on the sea."

Years ago, if you remember, our friend J made us this ice cream to enjoy after a lazy Sunday lunch. The recipe is his Mum's and he was kind enough to share it. It's simple, delicious, and D and I have made it every summer since. 

Mint Icecream
1 pint water
16oz caster sugar (I use golden caster)
1 handful fresh mint leaves
juice of 4 lemons
1 pint double cream

Place sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes (but not completely).
Wash the mint leaves and place in a blender or food processor. 
Add the sugar syrup and blend until fine. 
Stir in the lemon juice and strain through a sieve into a container. 
Freeze until firm (overnight is best).
Blend the frozen syrup again until white and smooth.
Lightly whip the cream, fold quickly into the syrup and re-freeze.


The perfect treat for a Summer day!

Love from,


Laura

4 comments:

  1. Gosh that looks so good...I'm not really an ice cream fan but the combination of fresh mint and fresh lemons sounds heavenly. I bet it smells good too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything lemony is a hit with me. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! There's a shop in Geneva that sells Basil and Pineapple ice cream that is the essence of Summer to me, but this might just beat it. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, thank you for commenting - fingers crossed you get a sprinkling of Hobmother dust! What a lovely blog - this recipe sounds yum, nice and refreshing for summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...