8.7.11

buttons & berries

Dear Annie,

It's been a good week for craft-related charity and junk shop finds. I picked up the buttons (chosen for their delicious berry colours) along with some crochet hooks in the local charity shop for the sum total of £1.85. Later in the week, I had a little mosey in the junk shop. Naturally, I asked if they had any knitting needles. There was a big jar, but at £1 a pair, they were a bit steep. I wandered down the road to another junk shop, and in the bargain box outside I found a big bag of knitting needles, about twenty or so pairs, mostly the brightly coloured plastic ones that I love. "How much for these?" I asked gingerly. "Oh, you can have them for a pound, love." came the reply. Cue much skipping down the road! The grey and red ones above were my faves, although it's a shame they say Clamour, as opposed to glamour, which was what I initially read it as. Knitting is, after all, all about the glamour! 


More berries in this delicious Summer Berry Loaf cake. My mother-in-law made one when we visited at the weekend, and it was so tasty that I just had to try it out myself! I substituted some redcurrants for some of the blueberries, because we have a mysteriously prolific redcurrant bush in the garden. I also used sour cream (let down with milk) in place of buttermilk, as that was what we had in the fridge. It was very scrummy indeed. A teeny bit more dense than I'd have liked, but I'm not sure if that was due to the fruit or the fact that I left it cooling in the tin for longer than I should have done. At any rate, it's an excellent way to make the most of all the summer berry goodness that's around at the moment.


I'll leave you with some sneak preview pictures of my other crafty charity shop bargain, as investigated by my smallest assistant.



Love from, 

Laura

4 comments:

  1. oh so lovely, and your assistant has gorgeous shorts, I love that print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that cakes looks delicious!

    I just stumbled upon your blog and thought I'd stop by to say 'hello' :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute assistant :o)
    what a find, it is so lovely when you come accross someone else rubbish and it turns out to be your treasure. I found two new balls of blue wool at 50p each and a teacup and saucer for £1.50 today, must be a good day for tresure hunts!
    that cake looks delish
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I know I'm going to turn green when you reveal what it is. Looks v promising indeed! Love the buttons too, I just bought some this morning but paid £6 for a card! That's London for you ..... grrrr!

    Happy weekend x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...