18.4.11

a second helping of rhubarb

Dear Annie,

  
One helping of rhubarb cake is never enough in my opinion, so I thought that I would share some more with you. As you may have gathered, I am very fond of rhubarb, and always try to eat as much of it as I can whilst it is in season. I frequently bake Nigella's Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake (from her Domestic Goddess book) and seldom does a summer Saturday go by without us starting the day with a batch of Soule Mama's Rhubarb and Strawberry Muffins (I do alter the recipe slightly, see * below if you're interested.) I make Rhubarb Jam, I follow my Dad's recipes for Rhubarb Compote and Rhubarb and Lemongrass Fool. I'm even partial to a Rhubarb Bellini or two. 

My favourite rhubarb recipe of all, however, is Rhubarb Shortbread. It's a recipe that I cut out of a magazine years ago, I really can't remember which one. I do have an inkling that it may have been written by Nigella - the parting instruction to "eat it with a cup of tea and a delirious grin" sounds very much like her, I always think, as does the (completely accurate) description: "juicy, aromatic, buttery and irresistible". This is how you make it... 

Preheat the oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, gas mark 4. Mix together 125g butter, 125g plain flour, 25g cornflour and 2 level tablespoons sieved golden icing sugar until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
Line a 23cm (9in) square tin, 4cm (1.5 in) deep with foil. Press the shortbread evenly into the bottom of the tin. Prick with a fork and cook for 15-20 minutes until beginning to brown around the edges.
Chop 250g (9oz) rhubarb (3-4 sticks) into small pieces. In a bowl, beat 2 large eggs. Add 25g (1oz) plain flour, 200g (7oz) demerara sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract.
Stir in the rhubarb and spread the topping evenly over the shortbread base. Return it to the oven and cook for a further 40 minutes, or until the top is set and golden brown. 
Allow to cool in the tin, then cut into pieces. Enjoy it with a cup of tea. A delirious grin is optional, but highly likely.
With my next bundle of rhubarb, I rather think I'll have a try at Tess from driftwood's Rhubarb and Orange Cake. It sounds delish! I'll keep you posted.

Love from,


 Laura 

For the muffins, I replace the maple syrup with 1/2 a cup of golden caster sugar, and replace the buttermilk with 1/4 cup plain yoghurt mixed with 1/4 cup milk. I use 125g salted butter and omit the 1/2 tsp salt.

Edited to add: I have now made Tess's Rhubarb and Orange cake and it is indeed delish. Highly recommended!

7 comments:

  1. wow, have never seen this recipe for rhubarb before, I will defiantly give it a try! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I am a huge rhubarb fan here too, I'm definitely going to try the shortbread and the muffins, my mouth is watering right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh yummy, fingers crossed I get given some more rhubarb! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I can see the need (no option) for that delirious grin, that looks gorgeous. Feeling the urge to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this, we're over staying with my folks & the kids have picked far too much rhubarb today - i now know what to make with it all! yum.
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 3 and 6 year olds just went mad picking it at the alloment and we've had rhubard crumble already, but still loads left. The shortbread recipe sounds very intriguing, might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to make Rhubarb Fool with my rhubarb this weekend but I may have to make Rhubarb Fool with some Rhubarb Shortbread on the side. Sounds delish. Thanks for the recipe. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...