21.3.11

A Sparkly Cockatoo

Dear Laura,


A few years ago I came to America for the first time ever. I had just started dating R. We met in the UK through a mutual friend and he had come to visit me, now it was my turn to go to the states. Confident about travelling I was nervous about this trip. America is odd, we are exposed to it so much that I didn't think there would be anything new to see or feel or well get excited about, other than the boy of course. I was wrong of course. I was also nervous because I didn't know R very well at this point and I didn't know much about his life here. When I arrived I noticed these two birds on his fridge. 



I loved them immediately and just seeing them in his apartment eased all my nerves. Clearly this boy at least has an appreciation for handmade even if he doesn't do it himself. It turned out his grandmother made these. This made them even better.


Today I noticed that our fridge was in need of more magnets and thought that I should try to make these birds. Spring is blooming at the moment so I couldn't help being influenced by all the beautiful pink and purple blossom and new bright green leaves. I searched in my sewing box to see what I could find.


Magnets, beads, thread, that seems to be what I need


Felt cut ready for sewing and stuffing


Finally time to add the sparkles. Now Mr Cockatoo here insisted on extra sparkle there was no talking him out of it so he was blinged up.


whereas Mrs Bird was more after a subtle look.


And here they are in their new home


Lots of love

Annie






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds and lovely that they were made by his Grandma. I have an urge to make something with felt now. Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me find where my bag of felt scraps is. Probably a good thing as I don't think any felt birds I would make would compare to these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A flock of felted birds - the perfect fridge accessory. Lovely story. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birds, I love birds.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, Just thought I'd let you know that I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. I love your blog! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice story, thank you for sharing it with us. I can imagine your apprehension to follow a boy to a new country. And that universal feeling of love for precious handmade things made a connection between a grandma, her grandson and you. Maybe now your own birds will fascinate and charm someone !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...