14.1.11

too small (but perfectly formed)

Dear Annie,

A couple of nights ago, I finished baby R's Aviatrix. Once I had the W&T stitch figured out, it knitted up incredibly quickly. I was delighted with it. I loved the shape and style, I was pleased with the colour and the softness of the yarn and I was thrilled that some vintage buttons I had hoarded away were the perfect colour-match. Oh, how proud I was of my accomplishment!

The next morning, when baby R woke up, I looked at his head...then I looked at the hat... then I looked at his head again. The hat was too small! Far, far too small. Now baby R is four months old and I had made the twelve months size, so I was very confused. Until, that is , I looked again at my needles. Not my 5.5mm needles as I had thought. No, I had actually been using 5mm needles. Hmmm. Knitting School Lesson One: needle size affects gauge. Knitting School Lesson Two: always do a gauge swatch. Ooops! Straight to lazy knitters' detention for me!


Still, too small it may be, but it is nevertheless very sweet. I'm sure we have a teddy bear who will look just lovely in it! Luckily for baby R, I have over a ball of Lima left, so I can cast on forthwith and make him a new one before springtime arrives, and yes, I will be doing a gauge swatch this time!


Thankfully, I have been having more luck with crochet. Your impressive progress spurred me on to pick up my hook again, and your suggestion to check out Meet Me at Mikes was genius! Thanks to the excellent tutorials there, I have finally cracked it and in just one evening my grannies went from this:

to this


and then -after some searching around on Ravelry for just the right pattern- to this:

I can't resist it -the obvious crochet pun- I'm hooked!

Love from, 
Laura x

PS: Thank you kindly to Erin, who has also kindly given us an award. We're so glad that you enjoy reading and it's been lovely to visit you in return.

3 comments:

  1. i love the aviatrix pattern, such a sweet baby gift, & well done with the granny squares, they are looking good, i'm still making my circle in a granny square blanket over a year on! really trying to get it finished before we move again,
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about the hat, it is so beautiful and I love the colour. Well done on the crochet squares, it's so satisfying to learn a new skill!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! So happy to hear from you at Tangled Happy. I always enjoy hearing from new visitors. Love seeing your progress with these granny squares. The last one is just perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...