A couple of weeks ago I was faffing around on the internet when I saw this dress and I fell in love with it. I thought to myself I must have it, NOW... So I started my investigation, how was I going to make it? What was I going to make it out of? and seeing how it is mid winter when was I going to wear it? Luckily, there were a few clues on the Jorth blog. The first being where she got the pattern from, it is from a book called "Drape Drape 2". Apparently a Japanese book and from first search not available to buy on Amazon (not that I had the patience to wait for the book to arrive anyway).
In order to try to figure out how the dress was made I searched the internet high and low to see if I could find any more information. Low and behold someone else had also made the dress, Nikki-Shell. So now I had three photos from that blog, two from the other blog (she had also made a small one for her daughter) and the picture from the book. Oh and a final piece of vital information, the dress was made from one piece of fabric.
With all of this in mind I set about thinking of how to make a pattern for the dress and for the first time ever decided to make a mock up so I could ruin it before making the final dress. I began with some very small dresses, ones that would fit on my wrist. This however, didn't really provide the draping I was after, so I just went for it and laid my fabric out and cut.
Sewing it together roughly, I was having real trouble with the draping, I was pulling and pushing and squeezing and adjusting the dress on myself in the mirror (no sewing mannequin for me!) and I just couldn't work it out. Most of the time I just looked like a Roman Senator. A flattering look I know but not really the one I was going for. I put the dress down for a week, slightly deflated because I couldn't work it out. Then eureka! I put the dress back on and pulled at the top, suddenly drapes similar to the ones in the pictures appeared.
Flushed with success, I quickly cut around the seams to produce the pattern I needed. Then I folded the dress up scared to unpick and cut out the real one. Finally I got up the courage and carefully unpicked the dress, lay it out on the red jersey fabric and cut and sewed and smiled. It was really quick once I had figured out a pattern of sorts. Only a couple of hours.
Oh, do you want to see the dress.... well I don't have a great picture of it yet, flat light... winter time... Oh never mind... here it is.
I changed the neck and capped the sleeves other than that it is pretty much the same as the ones I saw in the pictures. Don't look to closely because I haven't hemmed the bottom yet, that is the task for this afternoon! I love it so much.
Lots of love