22.1.11

Drape Drape Dress

Dear Laura,


A couple of weeks ago I was faffing around on the internet when I saw this dress and I fell in love with it. I thought to myself I must have it, NOW... So I started my investigation, how was I going to make it? What was I going to make it out of? and seeing how it is mid winter when was I going to wear it? Luckily, there were a few clues on the Jorth blog. The first being where she got the pattern from, it is from a book called "Drape Drape 2". Apparently a Japanese book and from first search not available to buy on Amazon (not that I had the patience to wait for the book to arrive anyway). 


In order to try to figure out how the dress was made I searched the internet high and low to see if I could find any more information. Low and behold someone else had also made the dress, Nikki-Shell. So now I had three photos from that blog, two from the other blog (she had also made a small one for her daughter) and the picture from the book. Oh and a final piece of vital information, the dress was made from one piece of fabric. 
With all of this in mind I set about thinking of how to make a pattern for the dress and for the first time ever decided to make a mock up so I could ruin it before making the final dress. I began with some very small dresses, ones that would fit on my wrist. This however, didn't really provide the draping I was after, so I just went for it and laid my fabric out and cut.
Sewing it together roughly, I was having real trouble with the draping, I was pulling and pushing and squeezing and adjusting the dress on myself in the mirror (no sewing mannequin for me!) and I just couldn't work it out. Most of the time I just looked like a Roman Senator. A flattering look I know but not really the one I was going for. I put the dress down for a week, slightly deflated because I couldn't work it out. Then eureka! I put the dress back on and pulled at the top, suddenly drapes similar to the ones in the pictures appeared.
Flushed with success, I quickly cut around the seams to produce the pattern I needed. Then I folded the dress up scared to unpick and cut out the real one. Finally I got up the courage and carefully unpicked the dress, lay it out on the red jersey fabric and cut and sewed and smiled. It was really quick once I had figured out a pattern of sorts. Only a couple of hours.


Oh, do you want to see the dress.... well I don't have a great picture of it yet, flat light... winter time... Oh never mind... here it is. 

I changed the neck and capped the sleeves other than that it is pretty much the same as the ones I saw in the pictures. Don't look to closely because I haven't hemmed the bottom yet, that is the task for this afternoon! I love it so much.


Lots of love


Annie

3 comments:

  1. I love your version! I attempted to draft my own too (it's on burdastyle if you wanna take a peak), the colour is great and I think that you did an awesome job!
    Yay you!
    www.missmardinowak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mardi, if you setup your about me section on blogspot you won't have to paste your URL into every comment. Just clicking on your username will take people to your about section (and your blog).

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, I love it! I have the book (the English version is out on Amazon as well) and I love that you just winged it and made this awesome dress (the colour is fabulous too). Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...