15.10.10

Meditation in Purple

Dear Annie,

Sometimes I feel that knitting is the only thing that keeps me sane.

Looking after two young children is wonderful but it is also relentlessly exhausting; there barely seems to be time for me to take a breath of my own, let alone have a thought. Some days feel like an endless treadmill of feeding, changing, soothing and tidying, all whilst diplomatically negotiating a path through the tantrums and strange logic of toddlerhood.

Somehow, in the midst of mess and chaos, I manage to seize a few minutes here, a few minutes there, to pick up my needles and knit. I have knitted in parks and at toddler groups, in cafes and on benches. In the car whilst a little one sleeps, on the stairs in case a toddler wakes up. I knit when the boys are napping, I knit when they are playing and I always, always knit once they have gone to bed.

When I knit, my time is mine alone. I have chosen the texture of the needles, selected the pattern, picked the colour of the yarn. When I knit, I am creating something that I can see and feel, not the transience of a tidy house or a meal prepared but something that will remain. When I knit, I can concentrate only on the movements of the needles, the knit stitch and the purl. My hands are moving but my mind is still, calm, quiet.

I have just cast off a hat for myself. A hat made in the snatched moments of calm with wool in my favourite shade of purple. A slouchy winter hat. A meditation in purple.



Lots of love,
Laura x


  • PS: You can see details of the hat on Ravelry

1 comment:

  1. Great photo!
    P.S. If I could knit I'd look up the pattern...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love to hear what you have to say.
Annie and Laura x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...